Grow Fruits and Veggies
Grow Shrubs and Vines
Staff Tips Archive
Measure your square footage and we'll do the math for you.
Early Winter Tips
- Clean-up cut and toss any diseased foliage. Cut back perennials after a hard freeze. Consider leaving grasses and plants with seeds to provide winter interest and food source for birds.
- Grilling. If you are grilling a turkey or ham for the holidays, be sure to use a remote thermometer to monitor the meat and make sure it reaches the appropriate temperature.
Do you have a cover for your grill? A lot easier removing a cover than wiping off your grill and side table not to mention cleaner.
- Water Features. Keep an eye out for leaves falling in your water feature. Remove them before they sink to the bottom. Start applying autumn/winter prep cold-weather bacteria.
- Perennials & Trees. You can plant perennials and trees until the ground freezes. They will be all ready to grow first thing in the spring.
- Holiday Lighting. Now is a great time to put up lights in the landscape and house. Beat the snow and cold. Use LED lights and save energy. Use the appropriate mounting clips for the type of material you are hanging lights on. Brick, vinyl siding, gutters, wood etc.
2015 Lawn and Turf Handbook
Gertens Lawn & Turf Handbook is your complete guide to an easy and beautiful lawn. Download your copy here.