Best Tips for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors
|It’s almost impossible to have too much light, but you can use a light intensity meter to measure exactly how much light your plants are receiving.|
Here at Gertens, we offer simple tips for starting plants from seed. Successfully starting seeds indoors will require a few things:
- Container – You can choose to start your seeds in either flats or pots & cell inserts.
- Potting Mix – Use a high-quality, soil free potting mix for seeding. Soil tends to compact and crack and does not retain moisture. Specialized mixes typically contain sphagnum peat moss, perlite, other fine ingredients to give seedlings the aeration and moisture retention they need for strong development.
- Heat & Light– If you don’t have the luxury of a greenhouse, artificial light and heat are necessities. Heat is required to begin germination. Regular fluorescent lights will work just fine, but specialized grow lights are available which are easier to adjust and position. Lights should be placed as close as possible to the top of the sprouts, approximately ½ inch. It’s almost impossible to have too much light, but you can use a light intensity meter to measure exactly how much light your plants are receiving.
- Water – Water before you plant. Allow the potting mix to absorb the moisture. After that, keep potting mix moist, but not soggy. Room temperature water is best. You can take the guesswork out of watering by using a digital moisture meter.
- Viable Seeds – Choose only the highest quality seed with excellent germination rates. Come check out our selection in store!
Gertens has all the accessories and supplies you need for seed starting.