Best Tips for Starting Plants from Seed Indoors
|It's almost impossible to have too much light!|
Here at Gertens, we offer simple tips for starting plants from seed. Successfully starting seeds indoors will require a few things:
- Container – You can choose to start your seeds in either flats or pots & cell inserts.
- Potting Mix – Use a high-quality, soil free potting mix for seeding. Soil tends to compact and crack and does not retain moisture. Gertens recommends Hoffman seed starter.
- Heat & Light– If you don’t have the luxury of a greenhouse, artificial light and heat are necessities. Heat is required to begin germination. Regular fluorescent lights will work just fine. Lights should be placed as close as possible to the top of the sprouts, approximately ½ inch. It’s almost impossible to have too much light.
- Water – Water before you plant. Allow the potting mix to absorb the moisture. After that, keep potting mix moist, but not soggy. Room temperature water is best.
- Viable Seeds – Choose only the highest quality seed with excellent germination rates. Come check out our selection in store!